By annually celebrating together, we hope to:
- Raise the profile and visibility of au pairs, and legal au pair programs, around the world.
- Recognise and thank au pairs for what they do for host families and their children and for the part they play in fostering global understanding.
- Unite the au pair community and establish 24 November as a recognised day of annual au pair celebrations.
The International Au Pair Day is an initiative of IAPA The International Au Pair Association and was presented at IAPAÂ´s Annual General Meeting in Luxembourg in March 2019.
24 November 2019 marks the 50th Anniversary of the release of the âEuropean agreement on au pair placementsâ by the Council of Europe in 1969.
For the first time an official set of rules and regulations was defined and established in many European countries. This European agreement serves as the basis for European and other programmes worldwide to define the au pairÂ´s and host family’s duties and rights.Â
- All au pairs worldwide – former, current and future
- Host families and their children
- Au pair agencies and sponsors
- National au pair associations
- Everyone who believes in the value of au pair programmes â and the contribution they make to cultural understanding and awareness around the world
There are no limits to your options for celebrating au pairs but here are a few suggestions and we encourage you to share yours too:
For host families:
- Surprise your au pair with a thank you note or video
- Organise a surprise celebration for him/her
- Take your au pair somewhere nice
- Show your appreciation with a small gift
- Give him/her a day off to have a fun day with other au pairsâ¦
For au pair agencies and National Associations:
- Arrange a multicultural celebration for your au pairs:
a picnic, an outing or a sight-seeing tour. Maybe invite host families and their children too.
- Organise a team activity which brings everyone together e.g. a âbake offâ or charity sports match
For au pairs:
- Meet up with other au pairs and have a fun day out
- Create a video or photo album of your favourite au pair moments
- Learn and perform our au pair dance!
This list will be continuously updated. If you have a great idea how to celebrate au pairs on 24 November that you want to share, drop us a line via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment on Facebook or Instagram.